1. Contrary to popular belief, you *can* go to bed angry.
“But don’t make them sleep on the couch. It’s better to raise the white flag, get some sleep, and then see things with fresh eyes tomorrow. It’s also hard to stay mad when you sleep next to them. It’s fixed a lot of fights between me and my boyfriend.” —abigaeljoyceanderson
2. If you can’t believe your luck, you’re lucky!
“My mom used to tell me that a perfect relationship is when both people feel that they are the luckier one.” —oneinalillian
4. Be with someone whose imperfections you can accept.
“Before you settle down and marry someone, think about all the things you hate about that person and ask yourself: ‘Can I live with this for the rest of my life?’ If the answer is no, you need to move on.” —Sam Beedy, Facebook
5. Be responsible for your own happiness.
“Never put the key to your happiness in someone else’s pocket.” —missmadiejean
7. Your friends’ approval might mean more than you think.
“If your friends don’t like them, there’s probably something wrong that you’re not seeing.” —eswietanski5
8. They should make you feel great, even when they’re not with you.
“If you don’t feel better about yourself after leaving the presence of that person, then why are you with them?” —clairec448bb1bf0
10. Don’t settle for something that isn’t right just because you don’t want to be alone.
“My momma always had two very important things for me to remember:
1. It sucks to be lonely, but it sucks even more to be lonely with someone.
2. Just because they make it in your size, doesn’t mean you should wear it.” —Chanel
11. Be patient and you’ll find what’s right for you.
“Don’t chase the wrong person. The right person will meet you halfway.” —chantell424f411fc
13. If you’re not comfortable saying it, don’t put it in writing.
“My mother said: ‘Never put anything in writing unless you are okay with the whole world reading it.’ Definitely glad I have followed this advice especially when we live in a world that everyone sends texts and emails immediately without thinking about how it can come back to bite you in the ass.” —megannoc
14. When it comes to dating, always be honest and nice, even when you think it’s not going to work out.
“I’ve had multiple situations where I went on a few dates with a guy and decided I didn’t like him, then felt bad about letting him down. My mum has a great prespective on that, though: ‘That’s the risk you take with dating, that’s what you sign up for,’ she says.” —Adam Cranne, Facebook
15. You’ll know who you are dating within the first few dates.
“People will unwittingly reveal their true selves to you within the first four dates. BELIEVE THEM.” —EaddyMays
16. Just let it flow, don’t overthink everything.
“I am constantly worrying about things that have not even happened yet, always planning, always trying to be two steps further, and a lot of times that backfires.” —Camila Bolívar García, Facebook
17. Practice what you preach, always.
“Imagine your best friend was in your relationship right now instead of you. What would you tell her if she asked you if she should stay in it or not? There’s your answer.” —amym45b5a8032
18. Marriage won’t fix your problems.
“Small problems when you are dating become big problems when you get married. They don’t disappear.” —amyh4d5545a4e
19. Always take care of yourself first.
“They can wait, and if they don’t, they’re not the one you want to spend your life with.”
Note: Submissions have been edited for length and/or clarity.
<p class="print c"><a href="https://www.buzzfeed.com"><b>Check out more articles on BuzzFeed.com!</b></a></p>