With Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson the latest big name to lend his vocals to a Disney flick, voicing demigod Maui in Moana, we’ve decided to remember some lesser-known cameos.
Here are some stars whose roles in your favourite movies may come as a surprise.
- We all knew that Mel Gibson voiced hero John Smith in the 1995 film, but were you aware that Christian provided the voice for his pal Thomas? Before adopting his deep, gruff vocals for his part as Bruce Wayne/ Batman in Christopher Nolan’s The Dark Knight trilogy we heard a young, light-hearted sounding Christian exploring a new land and helping forge peace between the English and Native Americans in 15th century Virginia. How times have changed!
- Miss Moore voiced arguably one of the most enticing female characters in all of the Disney films – gypsy Esmeralda in The Hunchback of Notre Dame. Her knight in shining armour, Phoebus, was brought to life by actor Kevin Kline, who will soon be returning to the magical world of Disney playing Belle’s father Maurice in the live action adaptation of classic Beauty and the Beast.
- Only upon learning that Matthew voiced a grown-up Simba in The Lion King can we finally recognise his familiar voice in our heads! He gave the big cartoon cat the personality and strength that we love him for, and was part of an A-list cast including Nathan Lane as trusty meerkat sidekick Timone, Jeremy Irons as villain Scar and Rowan Atkinson as the strict and loyal Zazu.
- Ferris Bueller’s Day Off star Matthew wasn’t the only person we were surprised to find out is behind a vital Disney character voice in The Lion King; Whoopi provided the voice of hyena Shenzi, part of Scar’s evil pack. Her hysterical laughter and taunting was enough to scare any child watching at the time! She continued her mean streak when she took on the part of glittery purple rubber octopus toy Stretch in 2010’s Toy Story 3, who plots against Buzz, Mr. Potato Head and co. upon their arrival at Sunnyside Daycare.
- It may not be as famous as other Disney movies, but that doesn’t mean this 2002 flick wasn’t short of big stars. Joseph voices lead character Jim Hawkins, who sets off on a quest to find Treasure Planet on an intergalactic pirate ship. Joining him is Captain Amelia, voiced by Emma Thompson, and Doctor Delbert Doppler, brought to life by Frasier’s David Hyde Pierce. Not a bad line-up!
- Just before he became Rachel Green’s love interest Joshua in hit sitcom Friends, Tate flexed his cartoon muscles as Greek legend Hercules in Disney’s 1997 flick. Helping him on his quest to become a god and return to the heavens was his trusty satyr trainer Philoctetes, given edge thanks to Danny DeVito’s distinct voice. Together these pair made an unlikely perfect duo and, thanks to the catchy songs and fun story, helped Hercules become another Disney hit, leading to a popular TV series also voiced by Tate.
- John Travolta may have voiced the adorable lead dog in this Disney movie, however Miley had a just as important part in the story; voicing Bolt’s owner, Penny. Even the younger Penny had a famous voice thanks to Chloe Grace Moretz being cast, making this character quite the A-list appointment!